Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!


" Love is always bestowed as a gift- freely, willingly and without expectation. We don't love to be loved; we love to love."
- Leo F. Buscaglia

I came across this quote this morning and thought it was completely appropriate for the Valentine's day weekend.

I could not agree more with Mr. Buscaglia, love is something that we should give without expectation of any sort of return. Yet how many of us actually love that way? How many of us can honestly say that we love someone without expecting them to be there when we need them, or to change themselves on our behalf, or to want do the dishes, or to remember our birthdays/anniversaries, or just simply love us back? I know I can't. In fact, I seem to expect (even demand) the most from the ones I hold closest to me.

Why then, can we not love unselfishly? Why is our love so imperfect? Besides the fact that humans are so innately flawed, I think the thing about love is that when we allow ourselves to care that deeply for another, we feel vulnerable and begin to think that the ones we love should return the "favor". Self-preservation and the fear of getting hurt make our love selfish. But the truth of the matter is, if we truly love someone, it should be unconditional and without expectation. "We don't love to be loved; we love to love!"

So this Valentine's day , let us all share some expectation-free love with the ones you hold dear! Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails