Friday, February 19, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year (A little late)

Last week, in preparation for Chinese New Year, I decided to make my 4th aunt's almond cookies. In the hustle and bustle of the weekend, I entirely forgot to share it with you guys. However, since CNY technically lasts for a while, I figure a "late" posting is alright.

I haven't celebrated CNY with my extended family in Singapore since I left home at 15. In my high school and college years, this didn't bother me that much and I actually went a couple of years without really celebrating CNY (unless you count trying to use CNY as an excuse to do a get out (of practice) swim. p.s none of my coaches fell for this). However, in my recent quest to regain some of the Chinese/Singaporean identity that I so casually tossed aside upon arrival in America, I find myself longing to be back in Singapore doing Chinese New Year up BIG! But I won't complain because I did have that steamboat extravaganza this past weekend. Anyway here is my 4'ee's Almond Cookie recipe.


Ingredients:
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of icing sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 teaspoons of baking soda
1 1/4 cup of almonds, chopped and lightly baked
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of corn oil

Directions:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix all above ingredients in a bowl and formed preferred shapes (I make 1/2 inch balls, perfect for popping into your mouth whole) and bake for 15 minutes.

3. After 15 minutes, turn tray and bake for another 10 minutes.

Happy Chinese New Year! It's the year of the Tiger (my year), so 2010 sure is going to be a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails