Saturday, February 13, 2010

Casual Dinner Party for 6

A couple weekends ago, I decided to throw a spur of the moment casual dinner party for 6 of my friends. Because it was such a last minute decision, there was no real theme to the night's menu (and also because I entirely forgot my shopping list when I went to the grocery store :D).

Needless to say, I think the dinner (food and company wise) was a success. Here is a recipe from that night.


Chicken Pot Pie:
This has got to be my favorite chicken pot pie recipe. I mentioned before that I am not a huge fan of buttery or creamy sauces and the same applies for pot pies. This pie gets its velvety richness from the olive oil, wine and milk rather than from butter.

Ingredients:
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 carrots, diced
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups 1% milk
1 package of frozen peas
A good dash of nutmeg and paprika
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
2 store bought 9 inch pie crust, thawed if frozen

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook the chicken breast in a pot of simmering water until cooked through. About 10-14 minutes. Then let cool and shred.

2. Meanwhile heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring, until softened but do not let them darken. About 8 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for about 1 minute. You want the flour to cook and turn a little yellow.

3. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, about 5 minutes (be patient here, I wasn't once and the depth of flavor did not develop). Stir in the chicken and peas; and season with salt, pepper, nutmeg (this is what will make people go 'Mmmmm what is that I taste?') and paprika. Stir to incorporate.

4. Transfer the mixture into your two pie pans and cover with the pie crusts, pressing to seal. Cut several vents in the crust and place the pie on a baking sheet before placing in the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbling and crust is golden.

Makes 2 medium pot pies of one large pot pie.


Oh and I am sure there are some out there who would rather make their own pie crust and I say more power to you! I will be the first person to admit that I use store bought crust to make my pies (Hey! Don't judge, I am merely a home cook not even a home chef!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails