Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Stand

Being a recent food truck convert (thank you Grilled Cheese truck), I found myself prowling the streets of Westwood last thursday evening trying to look for the Komodo food truck. Not only did I have issues finding where the truck was parked (my fault- didn't check their latest locale tweet), but when I finally found the truck, they were closed for the night (their fault- they said they would be there till 10 pm and it was only 8.45 pm and they didn't even send a "sorry we're sold out" tweet until about 9.30 pm. To top if off, when I did find the truck, they were not at all apologetic about being closed!).

That experience reminded me why I was so resistant to the food truck craze in the first place! Expending all that energy to locate and track down a truck with no guarantee of food is not exactly my idea of fun. Unreliability aside, not having somewhere to park my behind and enjoy my bounty is not really my deal. The one thing I love most about food is its ability to draw people closer together, as they gather around a table to dine.

Anyway, needless to say, it was Thursday night, I was getting hungrier and grumpier by the minute and was entirely unimpressed. Desperate for food, my friends and I finally settled on grabbing hotdogs at The Stand.

Too hungry to know what I was craving, I ended up ordering the kraut dog- steamed dog, sauerkraut and deli mustard. I would never claim to be a connoisseur of hotdogs but this kraut dog left me wholly dissatisfied. The hotdog itself lacked any sort of flavor or texture (maybe because it was steamed) and the only thing I could taste was the overpowering deli mustard.

To make matters worse, they ran out of regular and sweet potato fries and I had to settle for slaw as my side. Any place that runs out of fries (my one weakness... well one of many) does not rate high in my books.

Details:
1116 Westwood Boulevard
Los Angeles CA, 90024
310 443 0400

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails