Tuesday, May 11, 2010

August


One of the things I loved most about New York City is that people walk everywhere. Unlike Los Angeles, you can walk for blocks and still not realize you've gone that far because there is always something to see. Be it shops and stores, or beautiful cobble-stoned streets and alleyways, or gorgeous buildings straight out of a movie set.



On the first day of my New York work/play trip, my friend and I took a little walk through Soho and the West Village to run some errands and just see the neighborhood. Somewhere along the way, we got a little hungry and decided that it was time to stop for brunch. August was our restaurant of choice.

Located in the heart of Greenwich Village, this tiny hideyhole of a restaurant was packed with brunching New Yokers. With wooden floor boards and black bench seating in both their indoor and outdoor atrium, August had a warm antique feel about it. It seemed like the kind of place one would get good grub... but what do I know about New York dining.



To start, my friends and I split a blackcurrant scone. Served with strawberry jam and butter, the scone had a more dense cake-like texture than I expected. While the cake like texture is forgivable, the scone's greatest flaw was the fact that it was served at room temperature. I think the flavors of the sweet blackcurrants would have been more pronounced had the scone been served hot.



For my main dish, I had a pizza bianca- prosciutto and arugula with two fried eggs. I thought the eggs would have come incorporated into the pizza to make some kind of breakfast pizza but I was sorely disappointed. My pizza bianca was just flat bread, topped with two fried eggs, prosciutto and some arugula. Uhhh. Additionally, like the scone, the dish was served cold! Such a huge disappointment especially considering that fact that the restaurant had its own wood-fired oven a mere 5 feet from me!

Overall, August was a huge temperature disappointment for me and I seriously bemoan this fact because food just taste better when it's served at the right temperature!

Details:
August
359 Bleecker Street
New York, NY 10014
212-929-4774

2 comments:

  1. Love the photos of NYC! Do you have any more? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I think I have one or two more random ones? Will try to post them later this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails