Thursday, May 13, 2010

Public


While in New York, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to catch up with an old high school friend from Orange County whom I lost touch with after we went our separate ways for college. We made plans to brunch at Public.



Set along a tree-lined street in Nolita (North of Little Italy- look at me with my New Yorker lingo!!), Public comes complete with irreverent decor- public buildings are the inspiration for the industrial aesthetic. Raw exposed brick, sleek industrial lighting, and nook and cranny seating set the scene at this downtown industrial chic restaurant. Designed and branded by the James Beard Award winning team at AvroKO, Public was recently awarded a Michelin Star in 2010. And, if you are an avid fan of Iron Chef America, you might have recognize Public's Executive chef Brad Farmerie from "kitchen battle" "maple syrup" or as a Iron Chef hopeful from Next Iron Chef America.

Failing to make reservations, my dining party was ushered into Public's sister space and wine bar, Monday Room, to wait for our table. Sexy leather banquettes to perch my behind, free ice tea to quench my thirst and good conversation with my old high school friend made our wait go by swiftly.



Upon being seated, we were served small bites of apricot scones. Sweet and doughy, these scones were moist but a little too buttery for my liking. I would have preferred if the scones were warm out of the oven but since they were complimentary, who was I to complain.


The brunch menu at Public is interesting with a wide array of global choices ranging from lamingtons to Irish breakfast to ginger spiced lychee french toast. After a rave recommendation from our server, I ordered the Turkish Eggs-poached eggs a top Greek yogurt with kirmizi biber (a common Turkish spice made of crushed peppers that are rubbed in oil and often roasted) butter.

Now I know from the picture this dish looks a little weird maybe even questionable (I mean the French couple sitting at the next table could not help but stare incessantly at my meal when it arrived in front of me) but let me tell you, this was one of the most delightful and unusual dishes I've had in a while.

The poached eggs that come buried in a soupy mess of Greek yogurt and topped with the kirmizi biber sauce reminded me of good hummus, the way it’s served in middle eastern restaurants, with a sizeable well for olive oil and spices. On smell alone, the sweet aroma of the kirmizi biber is intoxicating, but the flavors... oh...The tartness of the yogurt balances the mild, smoky spice from the kirmizi biber, while the butter adds a sweetness that complements the richness of the runny yolks. For egg lovers, it’s a must-try. My only complaint is that my eggs were a little over-poached and the yolks could have been runnier.

Details:
Public
210 Elizabeth Street
New York, NY 10012
212-343-7011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails