Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tomato Soup Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting


Saying goodbye to a friend is never an easy thing. This past Sunday, I attended a farewell potluck brunch that was thrown for a good college friend of mine who is heading home to Colorado before going off to Law School in the fall. For brunch, I made a Tomato Soup Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting cake as my contribution to the party.

I know you're already a little curious and maybe even a tad turned off by the tomato soup in this cake and I don't blame you. I mean seriously? Tomato soup? Cake? But truth be told, this slightly rebellious recipe produces an amazingly intense colored spice cake that is fragrant and moist. The recipe is easy enough that even a goof in the kitchen could not screw it up! So go ahead, give it a try!

Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons Shortening/Crisco (I used unsalted butter instead)
2 cups Granulated Sugar
2 cans (10.75 Oz. Each) Condensed Tomato Soup
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
3 cups Flour
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
2 teaspoons Nutmeg
½ teaspoons Ground Cloves
_____
Frosting-
8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, softened
1 pound Powdered Sugar
2 Tablespoons Milk, Or More To Reach Desired Consistency For Icing

Directions:
1. Cream together shortening and sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the tomato soup and baking soda- yes, the foamy mixture you now have in your bowl is normal. Panic not, its the acid in the baking soda reacting with our soup.
3. Once combined, mix the soup and baking soda into the creamed sugar mixture. Add all other cake ingredients in the order listed.
4. Grease a bundt (Buunntttt!! LOL) pan
5. Spread into the prepared bundt pan and use a spoon or flat spatula to even out the surface
6. Bake at 350F for approximately 45-55 minutes, until done. Let cool.

To make the cream cheese frosting cream together powdered sugar and cream cheese in a bowl. Add enough milk to make it spreadable, usually about 2 tablespoons/ Pour over the cooled cake.

I got a little zealous with my milk to frosting ratio and my frosting got a little too runny for my liking, but the taste was still fab!

Recipe Courtesy of Tasty Kitchen

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails