Thursday, May 20, 2010

Comme Ça

As much as I have a love/hate relationship with my birthday, I do have a habit of prolonging my birthday celebrations (and apparently prolonging posting about them too ;D ). Although I already had a birthday dinner at The Little Owl while in New York, I wanted to do a dinner with my LA friends, my LA family.

After many rescheduled attempts and relocations (Thanks for putting up with my undecided-ness ladies!), my friends and I ended up at Comme Ça on a random Monday night in May!

Opened by famed chef/owner David Myers, this French brasserie has long been on my "To Eat At" list. With an "oh-la-la" palette of black and white, the dining room at Comme Ça is clean and modern. White tufted leather banquettes line the muted-grey walls, while framed mirrors of different shapes and sizes adorn them. Despite the sophisticated decor, Comme Ça still holds true to the relaxing atmosphere of a brasserie.



For my appetizer, I ordered the roasted beef bone marrow and oxtail jam with toast and fleur de sel. Gooey and smooth, the decadent bone marrow was entirely saturated with buttery richness, I could feel my arteries clogging up with each bite I took. While a small pile of fleur de sel sat at the edge of this plate, it was not needed; the oxtail jam was salty salty salty. Truth be told, while I wanted to like it, this dish was a little too heavy for my palate. I felt like I had basically ordered a heart attack on a plate to start my meal.



One of the reasons I have been dying to eat at Comme Ça is because I've heard great things about their burger. I mean back in 2007, Jonathan Gold claimed it was the best cheeseburger he's ever tasted!

Made with certified angus beef and topped with cheddar cheese, the burger comes dressed with a slaw-like sauce made with a combination of lettuce and onions. Despite the hype about the burger, I don't think it would make my top 5 burger list. It wasn't that it was bad, it's just that it wasn't great. The patty itself was not impressive, a little tough and over done in spite of my order of medium-rare. In addition to a massive patty, the burger was served with a fluffy bun, so it was tricky to get a uniform bite. The comme Ça burger's saving grace was really the slaw-stuff on the top, of which they served sparingly.




To keep with the birthday rhubarb theme (see Little Owl post), I thought I would order the same thing at Comme Ça. Now, this is how one treats the seasonal rhubarb! With the perfect balance of sweet and sour, Comme Ça's rhubarb tart ran laps around The Little Owl's. The tartness of the rhubarb in this tart was allowed to sing beautifully, while the pastry on this tart was crumbly and crisp at the same time. Although I cannot recall what kind of ice cream or sorbet topped this tart, it really was icing on the cake!

Details:
Comme Ça
8479 Melrose Avenue
West Hollywood, CA 90069
323-782-1104

2 comments:

  1. "Why did she put that big clump on ice cream on?? That's too much for me to even believe!"

    - Luca Teo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a rather "big clump" of ice cream huh, Luca :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails