Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Huckleberry Cafe & Bakery


I love when my friends come to visit. Only problem is, I end up eating out a lot more than usual. This not only screws with my monthly budget, but my diet too--I tend to overeat when I eat out. The clean plate clubber (or chubber ;D) in me cannot see anything go to waste!

Anyway, with friends in town last week, the fat kid in me was definitely overindulged. Oh well... It was worth it.

One of the places I took my friends to was Huckleberry Cafe & Bakery. Headed by Chef Zoe Nathan and Josh Loeb, the same husband and wife team behind Rustic Canyon and the newly opened Sweet Rose Creamery, Huckleberry features handcrafted breads and pastries, along with locally sourced farm-driven breakfast and lunch items.



Located in an airy, glass fronted space, Huckleberry's interior comes complete with red chairs, chalkboard menus and wooden tables. In my opinion, the menu and decor of Huckleberry aptly embodies the yoga-loving, upper middle class clientele that is Santa Monica.



Since this is one of my favorite brunch places in West LA, I've tried a lot of their breakfast menu. My favorite dish by far is their Quinoa with spinach and sprouting broccoli topped with two fried eggs. Dee-lightful. What can I say, this dish is simple and healthy, but does not lack in the taste department. The gooey runny egg yolks are the perfect compliment to the grainy texture of the quinoa, while the veggies just make you feel good about yourself. The term "simply scrumptious" does little justice to the dish.

Details:
Huckleberry Cafe & Bakery
1014 Wilshire Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-2311

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails