Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Shimeiji Gohan- Rice with Shimeiji Mushrooms

I never used to like mushrooms. Mama T claims that I used to LOVE them when I was much younger but learned to hate them under the influence of my brother, who has never met a mushroom he didn't hate.

My version of the story is that I used to like mushrooms till I met canned mushrooms --they have a weird metallic and briny taste to them! I never knew that it was canned mushrooms specifically that I disliked and just generalized it to mean that I hated all mushrooms.

However, in recent years, I have been giving mushrooms a second chance here and there, and have come to find that I actually do like them, if they are fresh and not cooked in soup (something about the soggy mushrooms just turns me off)!

This past weekend, I was in a Asian grocery store and picked up some lovely brown shimeiji mushrooms. Not knowing how or what to cook them with, I consulted with a Japanese cook book or two and chanced upon this recipe.

The bonito broth cooked rice and mushrooms lends for a very tasty and comforting dish. I love the addition of the scallions as they not only give color to the dish but also provide an extra sharpness of onion flavor.

Ingredients:
4 oz shimeiji mushrooms
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 to 2 cups of Japanese rice, washed and drained
1 3/4 cup dashi broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sake
A few curls of negi or Japanese scallions

Directions:
1. Separate mushrooms and discard the tough bottom parts. After wiping down the mushrooms, put them in a colander and pour boiling water over and sprinkle with salt.

2. Put the mushrooms in a saucepan and add the dashi broth, soy sauce and sake. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Once it boils, turn heat to low and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.

4. Take mushrooms out and set aside. Allow broth to cool for a little while.

5. In another saucepan with a tight fitting lid, add the rice and reserved broth. Bring to a boil over medium to low heat. Once the rice is boiling, turn up the heat and continue to cook for another 3 minutes before turning off the heat.

6. Add mushrooms to the rice and put the lid back on. Leave mushrooms and rice to steam for another 10 minutes.

7. Stir to combine the rice and mushrooms. Serve with curls of negi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails