Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Handwritten Mail


I recently had a conversation with mama t regarding mail, more specifically handwritten snail mail and how much I adore receiving them. I've always been an avid sender of cards, at the very least on birthdays and special occasions. I'm one of those romantics that actually enjoys the process of mulling over the sweet sentiments I want to pen to loved ones.

The other morning, I checked my mailbox and to my joyous surprise, found that my dear friend, Joanna had sent me a picture "postcard" all the way from Scotland. Just cos. It was a beautiful picture and the "postcard" sure made my day. Thanks J0!

There is something special about a handwritten card that just beats electronic mail's wimpy behind. Receiving a card in the mail lets me know that the sender took the time to go to the store, pick out a card, find my mailing address, stick a stamp on the envelope and pop it in a mailbox. Whether to mark a birthday, to say thank you, to send condolences or just to say hi, a handwritten card is like sending a hug in the mail. What can I say, I really am a whimsical romantic at heart!

Being of the generation where emails dominate, the old fashioned soul in me bemoans the fact that people don't really send snail mail anymore. Now don't get me wrong, being separated from my family by continents and miles and miles of ocean, I see the merit and advantages of emails. But there is still nothing like receiving a handwritten card because it directly reflects the person who wrote them. For example, a friend might have the sloppiest penmanship known to men, but receiving a card from them will still make you happy as their sloppy writing reminds you of them.

So support my push for the resurgence of ink on paper and distinguish yourself from the constant flow of e-mail and text messages. Send a loved one a handwritten note today just to tell them you love them! Happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. awww! haha so sweet im glad you liked it :) and your photo makes my photo so much nicer and more rustic looking than it was!
    i just came back from church camp, had a good time but wish you and candice were there!! hows work going? i loved your star wars post btw. oh did you know that 4th of may was star wars day. it's really cheesy tho.. like may the '4th' be with you.. haha.. and they launched yoda's voice for the tomtom! hilarious;) hope all's well dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! I love how you always posts comments so I know who makes it to the blog! :)

    Also love the "4th be with you"!! Cheesy but oh so much fun!!

    And I am so jealous you got to go to camp! We should skype soon so we can catch up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails