Thursday, June 24, 2010

Panko Mozzarella Sticks


I will be the first to admit that I have a burnt relationship with deep frying. War scars on my wrist serve as the ultimate proof. While I have a strong dislike for deep frying, I will also admit that it is nobody's fault but my own. After all, I am the idiot who squeals when she sees the hot oil bubbling and in a blind panic, drops my food in the oil instead of gently placing it in.

Trying to learn my lesson from past battles, I thought I would give deep frying another chance with this Panko Mozzarella Stick recipe. The verdict? Hot oil, not as scary as it looks, as long as you keep your cool!

The Mozzarella sticks were so bad either! Made with light and flaky panko, these mozzarella sticks are ideal for appetizers at a dinner party. You can assemble them ahead of time up till the frying step, and keep them in the freezer till your guest arrive.

Ingredients:
16 Pieces of String Cheese, wrappers removed
1/2 cup of All-purpose flour
2 whole eggs
3 tablespoons milk
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
Canola oil, for frying
Marinara sauce, for dipping

Directions:
1. Slice string cheese pieces in half, for a total of 32 pieces.

2. Place flour in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk. In yet another separate bowl, combine Panko bread crumbs and parsley flakes.

3. To assemble, individually roll mozzarella sticks in flour, then dunk them in the milk/egg mixture and then place them in Panko crumbs. Use your hands to sweep crumbs all over the Mozzarella stick.

4. Gently remove and place on a tray of cookie sheet. Repeat until all mozzarella sticks are coated.

5. Place tray in freezer for 20 to 30 minutes to flash freeze.

6. To cook, heat 1 1/2 inches canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add mozzarella sticks, 8 at a time. Watch closely and turn over to evenly brown, cooking less than 2 minutes. Do not allow cheese to bubble and leak.

7. Remove cheese sticks to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve immediately with warm marinara sauce.

Recipe from the Tasty Kitchen of Pioneer Woman.

3 comments:

  1. ooh that looks tres tres yummy!! i love fried stuff much!! yes please btw lets skype sometime soon!! i also have an idea for a biblestudy we can do w candice haha will tell you more maybe when i get back (next wk) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were tres yummy! I mean anything fried is right! :)

    Email me when you get back and we will work out a 3 way skype date (haven't had one of those in a while)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails