Monday, January 25, 2010

Monkey Bread


Growing up in Singapore, I'd never come across Monkey Bread, yet alone heard of it. I first encountered the idea of Monkey Bread when a good friend mentioned that her step-mom makes a killer monkey bread. Killer? Monkey? What? I was intrigued.

This past Christmas season, I decided that it was the perfect time to take this 'mysterious' Monkey Bread into the kitchen. Let me tell you, Monkey Bread, worth the hype! The results were simply delicious (almost sinful) and the smell alone is to die for.

Ingredients:
2 Cans of Buttermilk Biscuits (Non-Flaky Ones)
1 cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1 stick of Butter
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
A Bundt Pan

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Open both cans of biscuits and cut each biscuit into quarters.

In a 1 gallon ziplock bag, combine 1 cup regular sugar with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Shake to mix.

Drop all of the quartered biscuits into the zip lock bag. Seal and shake vigorously to coat each individual piece with cinnamon-sugar. Don't worry if you have extra cinnamon-sugar, that's okay.

Arrange pieces in your bundt pan and build layers as you go. Some recipes called for greasing your pan but I figured that since I was going to drown the biscuits in a gallon of butter (see next step), I would be safe.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the stick of butter with 1/4 cup of brown sugar (light or dark). Stir over medium heat until well mixed. Pour mixture over layered biscuits.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is a deep dark brown. Cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto a plate. Pull apart (or if you want to be civilized, use utensils) and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing. Looks like I caught a case of Monkey Bread fever. Not sure where I'll find cans of buttermilk biscuits in Paris, however...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails