Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Adventures Begin

On the first day of every new year, my family has a tradition of sitting down together, reviewing the past year in retrospect and then sharing our goals for the upcoming year, a sort of family re-grouping and goal setting time. I know this is a little nerdy of us and yes I'll admit it really is. I mean one year we even had worksheets with columns, categories and sub-categories prepared courtesy of Pa T (love u Pa!). But if I were being honest, I quite enjoy and even look forward to this tradition, it makes me feel closer to my family and I've always believed that
1. sharing your goals with others makes you that much more accountable
and
2. knowing where someone came from and where they're heading can tell you so much about a person

On that note, here is my overarching goal for 2010: I resolve to journey on an adventure of self-discovery, finding and redefining myself outside of being 'the olympic swimmer' (well ex if we're being specific). To not only allow myself to be more vulnerable but to also take chances on other people. To carve out a cultural space of my own and to celebrate incessantly in the good and simply discard the bad! To be less of a hermit, to stop being lazy and get out more. To give more 'ayes' than 'nays' to the social invites I receive. And finally, but just as importantly, to have even more fun with
Food & Wine while doing all of the above!

Adventures of a Cultural Nomad was created to be a tool in this process, a vehicle of self expression and reflection. It is a chance to put a little more of myself on display and my hope is that by using social media to write for an audience, I will be forced out of my comfort zone, into a space where hopefully the self I want to be (or at least will be, because does anyone really know who they want to be?) will be waiting for me!

So let the adventures begin! I must say that I've been fortunate enough to have already lived a lifetime of experiences at my young age, but this is one adventure that is extremely important to me and one that I'm nervously excited for. Thank you for coming and sharing this space with me. While I do not quite know where this adventure will lead me, nor what
Adventures of a Cultural Nomad will evolve into, I appreciate the company.

xo!

4 comments:

  1. What a pretty blog, with such an admirable purpose! As Luca would say, "Two thumbs!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw nic, im excited for you! email/skype soon? ps love the suitcase photo xx jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nic (am I allowed to say "Nic"?):
    Which mama would be allowed on a journey such as this (sure breaking "culture" on this one), so thank you for allowing me a look into your head!
    May your adventures take you further and further into Inner Space to the very core of you!
    love, Nic Mudder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for the comments! Am excited to have you along for the journey!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails