Friday, January 29, 2010

A Day at the Getty

Last Saturday, I spent the afternoon at the Getty museum with a new friend. We had a lovely time viewing the new Rembrandt exhibit, visiting my favorite painting and soaking up the SoCal sunshine in the gardens.

The Getty holds a very special place in my heart because it was there that I spent countless hours in early 2009 trying to make one of the most important decisions in my life- deciding to retire from competitive swimming. I remember driving to the Getty after classes, sitting alone in the gardens or at a table on the grounds and writing thought after thought, list after list, of reasons for and against retiring. In fact, it was at the Getty that I made the decision to close that important chapter in my life and retire from a sport that I had such a long love affair with. Visiting the Getty evokes that confusing and emotional time in my life, but I am ever thankful to the Getty for providing a space for me and my thoughts.

Anyway, here are some pictures I took during my day at the Getty.

My friend, who is an architect in training, doing a sketch of the Getty Gardens. It was very interesting for me, with my untrained eye, to see his point of view on architecture and art in general.

The Gardens.

A group of Asian G-pa's and G-ma's enjoying some shade. This scene cracks me up to no end and I can barely explain why. Something along the lines of the way they are dressed, their demeanor and well, I love grandparents! (I have a weird sense of humor so I apologize)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails