Monday, January 31, 2011

The White Rabbit

I love breakfast. Well no, I love brunch, because brunch combines two of my great loves: breakfast and sleeping in without missing breakfast.

Combine my favorite meal with my favorite holiday and you have boxing day brunch at The White Rabbit in Singapore.

Now I know most, if not all, of my "reviews" on restaurants have been in a very favorable light. But its high time I come clean with you and admit that I don't always enjoy every restaurant I dine out at, I just usually don't blog about such restaurants. No negative "press" is my general rule.

But when I come across a fancy restaurant that does not deliver food wise, it irks me to no end and I feel strongly compelled to break this rule of mine. Case in point, my boxing day brunch at The White Rabbit.

Photo Credit: Blargh from Hungry Go Where. 
 
To understand why The White Rabbit falls under "fancy" in my books, let me first tell you about the space in which The White Rabbit is housed in. Set in a beautifully-restored old chapel off Dempsey Road, The White Rabbit has a grand almost awe-inspiring feel to it. With high ceilings and beautiful hard wood floors, the interior of the restaurant is sparse yet cozy. Large arched shaped windows allow natural sunlight (if you go in the day) to filter in creating a relaxing and warm atmosphere. All very fancy.

Next I must tell you about the wonderful job the design team did in branding this restaurant. Themed loosely after the ever popular 1865 Lewis Carroll novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the restaurant presents itself as a classic European restaurant that is cleverly presented in a current and kitschy way. Classic modern cool, if you know what I mean.

If you need examples of what I am talking about, just browse their website.

But all in all, I think we can agree that The White Rabbit thinks itself fancy. Therefore, I think it reasonable to expect a certain amount of fancy to translate over to their food. 


Wrong! I ordered the Croque Madam with grilled pama ham, Emmental cheese and topped with a sunny side up egg. First of all, my egg was sorely over-cooked and the yolk did not ooze with delight. Next, the English Muffin that my sandwich came atop of was cold! Cold! Can you believe that? They didn't even bother to toast the bugger up before serving it.

Then there was that parma ham. Cold and stiff, it did nothing but pull the dish lower and lower into the pits of yuck. And I won't even go there with the limp "salad" that sat depressingly along the edge of my plate.

Needless to say, brunch at The White Rabbit is the epitome of what not to do! Do not house yourself in a gorgeous building and brand yourself smartly, only to let your diners down. Had the bar not been set so high by the location et al., maybe your fall from grace would not have been so drastic. So, my dear The White Rabbit, how about focusing a little more effort into actually making your food edible?

Thank you.

Details:
The White Rabbit 
39 C Harding Road
Singapore 24951
+65 6473 9965

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails