Monday, January 24, 2011

Bean Curd (Tau Huay) Tarts


I don't like egg tarts. I think I am one of the few Chinese people who don't. There is just something about the richness of the custard that turns me off. I am a disgrace to my race.

Enter the bean curd tarts from LE Cafe Confectionery & Pastry, aka my racial salvation.

Encased in a thin cup of sweet pastry, the bean curd tart is a play off of the traditional egg tart where soya bean filling replaces the usual egg custard filling. While the tarts don't come cheap, the bean curd tart is seriously worth every cent!

Made by grinding up soya beans and almonds that are then cooked in water, sugar and pandan leaves for fragrance, the result is a silky-smooth bean curd filling that doesn't deviate too much from the traditional tau huay that one finds in the hawker centers.

Spot on consistency of the filling aside, the tart itself is perfect as it is not too thick, yet still manages to hold the delicate filling in place. Another plus for the tart is that it doesn't crumble at first bite, thus making eating the bean curd tart a much easier process.

In my opinion, the bean curd tarts are the perfect blend of two traditional delicacies, tau huay and egg tarts, combined to form something new, exciting and get this, healthy!

Details:
LE Cafe Confectionery & Pastry
264 Middle Road
Singapore 188990
+65-6337-2417

1 comment:

  1. Wow.. I am going to try it on monday! Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails